Re: [LUG] ubuntu mini cd's

Rob Beard wrote:
Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

if you want some mini ubuntu install cd isos(12 mb) then they are at the
above,  text based install they fit on the 50mb CD-R business card size.

Paul
It's probably worth bearing in mind that you also need an internet connection or a copy of the repositories for this too :-)

Still it's handy for those occasions when you don't want to burn a 700MB ISO (in fact I used the Hardy version last night).

Rob

A word of warning. More or less the day after a release comes out there will be updates - sometimes lots of them - the kernels just been updated and the new headers released so a lot of apps will be updated so you will still have a lot of updates to download from a 'brand new cd'.

CD install method:
install CD,
log in to new system,
update down line. On one machine fine - when introducing newbies they will be impressed that it can take a couple of hours from installing the CD to getting to an up to date machine NOT.
For an 'install day' this would be a nightmare.

Repository install:(apt cacher ng by the way) with up to date

Assuming an up to date confgured repository
install minimal cd (10 mins?? - I must dig out an old box and check*)
set up 1 1 line file in /etc/apt
install new system - woosh I expect.
machine up and running and up to date.
(if they are taking away the machine delete the 1 line file)

*I have a feeling it will take me longer to clear the space to get and set up the machine to test to do this but using apt cacher on my server means that I can upgrade my 3 32 bit ubuntus (mixed versions) in minutes once the server has downloaded the updates and I'm saving a good 50% of my bandwidth this way.
Tom te tom te tom