Re: [LUG] ubuntu mini cd's

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 08:26:29 +0000
tom wrote:

> Rob Beard wrote:
> > Paul Sutton wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
> >>
> >> if you want some mini ubuntu install cd isos(12 mb) then they are
> >> at the above,  text based install they fit on the 50mb CD-R
> >> business card size.
> >>
> >> Paul
> >>
> > It's probably worth bearing in mind that you also need an internet
> > connection or a copy of the repositories for this too :-)
> >
> > Still it's handy for those occasions when you don't want to burn a
> > 700MB ISO (in fact I used the Hardy version last night).
> >
> > Rob
> >

> A word of warning. More or less the day after a release comes out
> there will be updates - sometimes lots of them - the kernels just
> been updated and the new headers released so a lot of apps will be
> updated so you will still have a lot of updates to download from a
> 'brand new cd'.
>
> CD install method:
> install CD,
> log in to new system,
> update down line.  On one machine fine - when introducing newbies
> they will be impressed that it can take a couple of hours from
> installing the CD to getting to an up to date machine NOT.
> For an 'install day' this would be a nightmare.

I thought the whole idea of the "mini CD" installers was that you'd
essentially the CD would hold only the bare minimum and the rest would
be installed from t'Internet... in which case, it wouldn't have to
install an old version of X/Gnome and then upgrade as they'd be
installing the newer version directly.

Or am I missing your point?

Grant.