Re: [LUG] Bah! Disks! Bah!

Terry Hill wrote:

Eg:
Enough Ram to make a swap file redundant - how much do you need?
You can never (in a modern system) have enough ram to truly make sawp redundant. While a 32 bit process can only manage 4G you can have a single 4 gig swap for each process - or application if you like. I think the only limit is the file size of the file system - but even then you may be able to run multiple swap files. I should add that is from my wobbly memory from trying to understand how linux was put together years ago and looking at the code - but the kernel was a lot smaller then thaty now and things may have changed.
SSD for the system areas - prices/capacity doesn't look prohibitive.
HDD for medium term storage - already got plenty!
As for the other two its a law of playoffs. But 4Gig of ram isnt much - sort of £60 quid mark so its probably 1/2 the price of the motherboard and cpud and fan so its the most financially sensible speedier uppy thing you can do I think.
Tom te tom te tom