Re: [LUG] Bah! Disks! Bah!

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, tom wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

B cached, not 3.5MB ...

What I'm wondering is if say, the cache is like the old SmartDrive cache on DOS where rather than writing directly do disc, it holds what it needs to write in a cache for a couple of seconds until the disk is pretty much idle to speed up writing?

If that is the case, what is the buffer for?

I'm under the impression (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) that 'cached' data belongs to the filesystem and "buffers" belong to the underlying block device(s).

So the system has 35MB of files, cached in RAM and not on disk, and 2.5MB worth of buffered disk blocks that it can read from without accessing the disk.

... Just to be pedantic the data may be in RAM and disk.

Ah, of-course. I should have typed cached in RAM from the disk..

Gordon