Re: [LUG] Open source? What's that?

> Dear Terry

Hehe James I'm not sure this was meant to hit the list as you
addressed me so formally, but seeing as that's where it landed I'll
reply in kind ;)

> I only have basic experience of Linux. A few years as a user with
> interest in supporting GNU/Linux and doing simple things like recording
> extracts of music for my daughter and updating my few web sites. So, I
> am only doing 3 things.
>
> Ask about usage of FSW and Linux in schools for students. This goes as
> far as pointing out the moral responsibility of schools to students in
> at least 2 areas. First to have the information and sufficient hands-on
> to recognise it exists - this is a requirement of a proper education,
> otherwise it denies students of a very important freedom. Second, to
> enable students to have FSW so as not to be tempted to break the law to
> gain access to useful programmes.
>
> Offer myself as a potential introducer of a working Linux machine, talk
> about what it means to me and demonstrate it in use.
>
> Act as a link to this group if more is asked of me than I can deliver.
>
> I guess we can all do the first and third, and almost all of us could do
> the second, perhaps working out a session design with an IT teacher.
> Inclination is important as we all have our different priorities and
> ways to promote, use or develop FSW.

Fair enough, seems like a sensible approach to me - I certainly don't
have the knowledge to offer to do the hand holding required to help
institutions to make the change.  And you're right, we do what we can
to show people the alternatives available.  I was thinking out loud
really...

Personally, I've got quite a few of my college peers using open
office, which in my opinion is really good these days and easily
rivals "the other one" with less bloat to boot.  I showed one the lads
my ubuntu laptop today and he really liked the look of it, perhaps
I'll throw him a live cd tomorrow and see what happens.

I reckon that Linux just gets better and better.  I'm amazed at how
nippy this laptop is, and it's fairly old.  Feels fluid compared to
xp, and I ended up shoving all the desktop effects on in the end for
kicks (I told myself I wouldn't!).