Re: [LUG] Old PC for toddlers playgroup - Exmouth

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 20:13 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:

> > if its the same machine is one actually transfering the licence? If I
> > need XP, but don't have a disc and then download it from pirate bay and
> > use the licence on the box (I've done this a few times and it's worked)
> > isn't it legal as its the licence that's been bought, not a particular
> > (identical) instance of the software?
> >
> Yes it is transferring it, as the VirtualBox machine is classed as a
> completely separate PC.  It's the same as how you can't run multiple
> copies of Windows under the same license at once.  Of course it doesn't
> mean it can't be done, my Acer specific copy of Vista Home Premium works
> in VirtualBox without activation, but it doesn't make it legal as
> technically VirtualBox isn't an Acer PC, it's a virtual machine (which I
> guess passes some of the code from the BIOS through to the virtual machine).
>

> Rob

I actually meant installing XP to the whole PC, not to a virtual one. In
such a case the licence isn't being transferred. Though in this case as
I seem to remember the PC was described as making spitting noises all
this may be academic. edubuntu and crossover/wine is probably the way to
go.

Simon