Re: [LUG] Killing X11 and making it stay dead!

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, tom wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, Peter Walker wrote:

tom wrote:
I've got a viglen which is a bit slow under X - but that is the only way to configure some things so I'd like to run X11 from time to time: startx I was using xfce4 but just trying lxde and thats a lot lighter on the cpu: anyone know an ncurses one?
I want to kill or shutdown x  either gracefully or with prejudice. ???
Also how can I set it so it doesnt start on bootup - tried
sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove
but it seems to put itself back in somehow... (x)ubuntu being "helpfull" I guess
Tom te tom te tom

To stop X running automatically change the default runlevel in /etc/inittab.

Does that work in Ubuntu? I thought that was a RedHat and it's derivatives thing. It's certinaly not applicable for Debian. (unless things have changed and I've not noticed)

The way I disable auto starting is by not installing xdm/gdm/kdm or any other *dm type of startup program, then use startx myself.

It might be worth grepping /etc/init.d and seeing what's there...

Althoug I guess googling might help too..

Ah there you go: First hit on google:

Gordon

I tried that - but when I then run startx and next time I boot its all back again!

People keep going on about just how good ubuntu is.

I keep on scraching my head and sticking to Debian.

It seems to me that if you have to "fight" it, it's just not right.

Gordon