Re: [LUG] Custom web application development

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

Actually google docs isn't too bad and ca nexport to PDF - but limited to the fonts the browser has.

I thought I'd ask anyway, I'm trying to talk them out of going down the MS path anyway, it seems that if you sign up for a complete Microsoft package (Windows Server, Exchange, Office, Windows 7) then you can get a better price but they'd end up spending more on software they don't need.

This is where it cal appear to be cheaper to go the MS route than Linux - according to some - you buy the entry level package and get everything bundled in, although I've forgotten what it's called - maybe it's the basic SBS package which comes with 5 licneses of everything? Not sure...

There's a few different options, I think the one which suited them best was something like Microsoft Open Licence with Software Assurance which would give them the software and upgrades for as long as the agreement is in place (1 to 3 years). If they went for that they could even downgrade to Windows NT 3.51 and MS Office 4.3 Professional :-)

Are there any DTP packages for Linux?
Um... Scribus is the only DTP package I know of, unless you count Inkscape (which is more vector graphics, I gather similar to Adobe Illustrator) or OpenOffice Draw (which to me looks more like Microsoft Publisher as in it's fairly easy to use).

Then I guess you've got things like Laytex.

Rob