Re: [LUG] Custom web application development

Simon Waters wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
I wasn't sure if there was anyone on here who did things like this, but
from what I can tell (from what I have seen of what they do), they would
require the following:

We do stuff like that at $DAYJOB.

We have proprietary technology to take designs from a well known
graphics editor for Windows, and basically change the text, and keep the
graphics looking pretty.

We've also been playing with using SVG templates with variable content
substituted in, but it isn't quite capable of some of the stuff we'd
like to do (and can do with other technology, and even then IE doesn't
render SVG natively so it is still done server side).

I doubt you'll find much doing exactly what you want with traditional
web technology already, as things like custom fonts only work widely
recently. And the text editors in browsers are pretty naff.

Some folks may have done it with Flash, or proprietary server side code.

<snip>

Thanks for the example Simon, I think you're right, it's going to need some really custom stuff. I just wondered that's all. I'll look at other options such as maybe Scribus or OpenOffice Draw as at least they are open source and cross platform so whatever platform they may standardise on in the future (they're currently on a mix of XP, Vista and now Windows 7) they should at least be able to do what they need.

Rob