Re: [LUG] Custom web application development

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

Hi folks,

A friend of mine (well he's a friend and a customer) runs an online business creating wedding invitations, stationary and other such items. At the moment to do the wedding invitations they are using Microsoft Office 2000 with a custom designed template.

etc... Much snippage.

You want to play with fonts, wizzywid, layout and formatting via web... and export to PDF for printing... Eww laser printed wedding stationery...

Actually they don't laser print them and they also do card stock too cut to size, but I gather their main product is do with with wedding invites.
Well, good luck there... Not saying it can't be done, it obviously can, but how usable would it be? The closest I curently get to anything like that is editing wordpress articles or Google docs - and the editor they use it grossly slow on my workstation - all in Javascript and trying to do far too much.

Actually google docs isn't too bad and ca nexport to PDF - but limited to the fonts the browser has.

I thought I'd ask anyway, I'm trying to talk them out of going down the MS path anyway, it seems that if you sign up for a complete Microsoft package (Windows Server, Exchange, Office, Windows 7) then you can get a better price but they'd end up spending more on software they don't need.

<snip>
Anyone found my wedding web site yet?
Nope.

Rob