Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Hour in the UK

Quoting Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>:

<snip>

I asked mark at the light house about what young people think about them
using linux,  the response was they think its cool they like free stuff.
 So I think this really highlights Linux is out there and far more
popular than people actually realise, (and what Microsoft would like).
So I think it would be a real opportunity.

Yep, sounds good.

I can't see why we can't use Paignton as a base for one of these,
lighthouse or wherever,  make it regular,

Other lug members can then do something in their locality,  make this
accessible and it will work, so less travel time.  i can't see people
wanting to commute to paignton for 1 hour.

Again, yep, I'm sure there are loads of places that a few LUG members can meet which are local to them. It just so happens I go to the Paignton meetings as it's near to me. If I was living elsewhere in Devon/Cornwall I'd still try and arrange to meet other LUG members, even if it was for a chat over a beer. In fact when I first joined the LUG (November 2004 I think) I met up with one of the LUG members and had a beer in Newton Abbot and discussed SuSE Linux.

if we can co-ordinate our efforts then perhaps we can get a banner made
up,  (donations at events),  then say if we hold an event in Paignton,
we have it there,  then if someone from another area attends theyh can
borrow it for their event and it gets passed round the lug that way,  as
long as we know where it is can get at it if needed.

I was thinking the other day, might be be a good idea to get a banner put up somewhere where it can stay all the time?

I see Torbay Leisure Centre have a couple of banners up in their main sports hall.

Rob