Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Hour in the UK

Quoting Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

<snip>

Hi Rob,

It sounds an interesting idea, but the one fly in the ointment I can
see is travel time.  It's the same gripe I had in university - some
days I might only have one hour of lectures, but a round trip of at
least 90 mins bare minimum in light traffic[1].  With only an hour in
such a meeting I can see a point where people would say 'The amount of
time there isn't worth the travel time'.

In the context of the LUG though it *may* be more workable as there
could be several meetings dotted round and LUG members just go to the
one nearest them.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] Granted I could have stayed there doing other stuff, but most of
the time all the open access rooms were full so it was easier to drive
home and use my own PC - which was faster anyway!

I know what you mean with regards to travelling time. I get the impression though with these things being for an hour, they're probably not going to get too technical (such as an install day) and can probably be held in a local cafe/pub/library/book shop etc.

As I mentioned before (in another e-mail), maybe it's something that could be linked in with a local book store as many of them now have coffee shops, with a bit of publicity (maybe a letter to a local newspaper, and possibly a sign outside the book store advertising it), it might bring in a few interested people who may have heard about 'this Linux thing' or 'Umbuntu' who want to learn more.

Rob