Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Hour in the UK

Rob Beard wrote:
Hi folks,

This was just posted by Alan Pope on the Ubuntu-UK mailing list (I believe he's also a on the DCGLUG mailing list too). Anyway, it's a post about a think called Ubuntu hour.

Sounds like a rather good idea if you ask me, maybe something we could incorporate into LUG meetings, or possibly other venues such as the Lighthouse (not sure if we could tie something in there with the upcoming internet cafe), or maybe something at the Exwick Community Centre possibly in the future?

Anyway, details are below...

Rob
Hi Rob,

It sounds an interesting idea, but the one fly in the ointment I can see is travel time. It's the same gripe I had in university - some days I might only have one hour of lectures, but a round trip of at least 90 mins bare minimum in light traffic[1]. With only an hour in such a meeting I can see a point where people would say 'The amount of time there isn't worth the travel time'.

In the context of the LUG though it *may* be more workable as there could be several meetings dotted round and LUG members just go to the one nearest them.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] Granted I could have stayed there doing other stuff, but most of the time all the open access rooms were full so it was easier to drive home and use my own PC - which was faster anyway!