Re: [LUG] OT: Terry Pratchett

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, John Williams wrote:

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 00:28 +0000, Rhia Knowles wrote:

But, i think in these days of voice recognition and modifying
computers for the disabled, i reckon he's gonna be with us for the
long haul. Remember its not his memory in this version os Altziemers,
its his perceptions of the world around him, e.g his sight. I think
that will lead to more interesting parodies.

Rather sadly the varying types of Alzheimers are only different in where
they start... Not where they finish. That was my understanding of it on
the Living with Alzheimers documentary with Mr Pratchett. Different
forms may start differently as they originate or first show in differing
areas of the brain, but the ending is tragically universal.

That's my understanding of it too - and having visited places full of people suffering from Dementia/Alzheimer's, I can say it's a pretty weird existance. (One of my resellers deals with care homes for their IT support and telephony)

However he does have the best voice recognition avalable right now in the form of a PA who seemed quite able and dedicated to the task in the documentary.

I've just started listening to Unseen Academicals now in audiobook..

I finished it at christmas time - quite enjoyed it, but it needs a 2nd read.

Gordon