Re: [LUG] Debian and home hubs.

JOHN DAVEY wrote:

>     > Hi, I have Debian 'Lenny' on my Toshiba lappy which is equiped with a
>     > wireless....thingy. How do I connect wirelessly to my BT home hub? It
>     > doesn't seem to want to do it.....
>
>     Well Home Hub v2 supports Wifi: 802.11b / 802.11g / 802.11n (Supports
>     WEP, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK)

Quoting messed up -- stop it with that HTML email please...

>     Now what kind of Toshiba laptop? Built-in or added wireless card?
>     ...It's a Satelite Pro A100 with built in wireless capability...

Okay I see divergent comments about wireless card in this laptop.

These folk posted the output of lspci, so we'll trust them unless the
output of "lspci" looks different on your laptop.

http://lkcl.net/reports/toshiba.satellitepro.a100/lspci

...SNIP...
05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Network Connection (rev 02)
...SNIP...

So probably you need this advice here:

http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi

But read to the end first before fiddling (we all have that habit...).

>     What is the highest protocol in common?
>     ...I'm not sure what you mean?...

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I meant which 802.11 family
they share with the best performance.

From

http://download.intel.com/network/connectivity/resources/doc_library/tech_brief/31079601.pdf

Looks like 802.11g at 54Mbps is the best you can expect - but that is a
lot better than my set-up here.

>     Is the connection encrypted?
>     BT have given me a 'Wireless Network Name' and a 10 digit 'Wireless key'

I can't find the BT default, but if you log into your Home Hub with
looks like it offers a radio button selection between:

Disable, WEP, WPA-PSK and WPA.

I'd try disabling encryption first, since that is simplest, and then
when it works enable the same encryption settings both ends with your
own choice of passphrase. And change any default passwords just in case
BT had a bad day!

I'm guessing you ultimately want WPA-PSK at both ends (assuming the both
make it easy to choose) since that is more secure than WEP and simpler
than WPA.

>     What have you tried?
>     ...Nothing complicated,I have tried to input the name and key of the
>     connection into 'Network Tools'.
>     How does it fail?
>     ...The connection gets added to my list of available wireless
>     connections, I am told that I am connected to the wireless
>     connection. But on opening a browser I can see that it ISN'T
>     actually connected...

What do you see?

[Do this bit below before fiddling with the wiki stuff above, then
install the stuff from the wiki above and try again.]

Be useful if you could do some basic checks before and after it
connects, to see if it is getting an IP address ("ip addr list" or
"/sbin/ifconfig" at a shell), setting DNS servers ("cat
/etc/resolv.conf"), or changing routing ("netstat -nr"). The folks on
the IRC channel can probably tell you what to do (well I'm sure Neil and
Ben could, and probably lots of others....).

Hopefully the GUI can show you all that, the commands are easier to
stick in a file and email.

If it is a vanilla Debian install it is probably just missing the
firmware as per Wiki entry above. But I don't have this wireless card so
can't double check that.

If it makes you feel better my neighbour with Windows has a very similar
issue at the moment, we will eventually hit on a time convenient for
both of us to sort it out. But those Lenny users come first.