Re: [LUG] Fw: [freecycletruro] offered: desktop computer

Quoting Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I wasn't expecting this today!

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:49:55 -0000
To: freecycletruro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freecycletruro] offered: desktop computer

I have unwanted desktop computer which has ubuntu. Large monitor, but
no keyboard. I live in Roseland

That's good. There's a guy on the Torbay Freecycle who often advertises PCs, funnily enough they seem to come with Windows XP and Office 2003. Either he's loaded and giving away legal copies he's paid for out of his own pocket or he's doing something naughty.

I haven't yet e-mailed him to suggest he gives out PCs with at least OpenOffice.org, but I must admit I am tempted.

I mean, what he is doing in general (i.e. rebuilding PCs and giving them away to people who could make use of them) is great, but if he's giving away pirated copies with them then he is leaving himself at risk and possibly others who get the PCs with dodgy software on them.

Rob