Re: [LUG] Fw: [freecycletruro] offered: desktop computer

> That's good.  There's a guy on the Torbay Freecycle who often advertises
> PCs, funnily enough they seem to come with Windows XP and Office 2003.
>  Either he's loaded and giving away legal copies he's paid for out of his
> own pocket or he's doing something naughty.
>
> I haven't yet e-mailed him to suggest he gives out PCs with at least
> OpenOffice.org, but I must admit I am tempted.
>
> I mean, what he is doing in general (i.e. rebuilding PCs and giving them
> away to people who could make use of them) is great, but if he's giving away
> pirated copies with them then he is leaving himself at risk and possibly
> others who get the PCs with dodgy software on them.

Perhaps the PC's he advertises came with the software in the first
place.  Personally I have two licenses for XP, one for office 2003 and
a full license for a Dreamweaver suite that I'm not using, and I gave
away two licenses for XP last year.  Once I get around to reinstalling
my compaq lappy, I'll have another spare license.  As far as I
understand it, if you've got the label then you've got the license
(although correct me if I need it, I've never attempted to keep up
with the mechinations at Richmond).