Re: [LUG] Personal vs Public List Messages

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 06:04:01PM +0000, Simon Robert wrote:

> My bank account number is 094527 05285398, HSBC, please feel free to
> transfer money.........

A lot of what you say may be correct and I wish more corporates would publish
their bank account numbers on their bills and so allow payments
electronically.

That said I would be hesitant to publish any of my financial records
unless I had taken steps to minimise problems.

I refer you to the Jeremy Clarkson case and would suggest you contact
your bank accordingly

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm

        Clarkson published details of his Barclays account in the Sun newspaper,
        including his account number and sort code. He even told people how to
        find out his address.

        "All you'll be able to do with them is put money into my account. Not
        take it out. Honestly, I've never known such a palaver about nothing,"
        he told readers.

        But he was proved wrong, as the 47-year-old wrote in his Sunday Times
        column.

        "I opened my bank statement this morning to find out that someone has
        set up a direct debit which automatically takes £500 from my account,"
        he said.

        "The bank cannot find out who did this because of the Data Protection
        Act and they cannot stop it from happening again.

        "I was wrong and I have been punished for my mistake."

End Quote

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.