Re: [LUG] Personal vs Public List Messages

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Simon Robert wrote:

most phone numbers are trivial to find using something called the
telephone book! Other details using the electoral register. OK you can
be x directory and you can opt out of the electoral register published
info, more useful is the "Telephone Preference Scheme", sign up on-line,
which makes cold calling by EEC companies illegal. I really don't
understand why people are so paranoid about easy to find public info
being easy to find public info.

Aaah.. the TPS. Something I'm aware of, having customers who might have occasion to use it from the other side, as it were... Self-funded by the industry to the tune of £4,400pa for the TPS and £2,200 for the CTPS (for companies). An excellent way to get a list of a few million numbers to give to your of-shore branch...

I don't think it's actually illegal per say, but it seems to be operated by a seemingly toothless back-end, however I digress...

My bank account number is 094527 05285398, HSBC, please feel free to
transfer money.........

OK.

Gordon

Ps. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm