Re: [LUG] Personal vs Public List Messages

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Wills Fidell wrote:

It is quite scary how much information there is out there, and how it is used.

Exactly...

Domain registry of America, and that Swansea bloke to tried it on too. Now European company registrations...

When I got engaged I placed an announcement in 'The Times'. Shortly afterwards wedding marketing material was delivered to my wife's parents house, and to my parents old address. The information in the advert was not particularly detailed, and the spammers had definitely obtained it from the advert text - not from the sales database, so on the one hand I was quite impressed, otoh the marketing material was treated with the respect it deserved.

I did a website for our wedding - howevr, I "forgot" to put our actual names on it, so it's highly unlikely to be found..

So a coffee on Sunday for anyone who can find it :)

Actually make that half a coffee - as I've just found it myself on google - admittedly with some rather obscure search terms that you might only know about if you knew the theme of the wedding ;-)

(Assuming I can get to paignton that is!!!)

Gordon