Re: [LUG] Personal vs Public List Messages

james kilty wrote:
On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 06:42 +0000, bas wrote:
On 01/06/2010 09:14 PM, james kilty wrote:
Don't ever, ever post it to anything, anywhere that you might think is
 remotely public... Phone numbers in particular (Trev, yours is all over
 some boating forums and trivial to find via google),
I searched pipl.com for my name and one entry had address and phone
number! one of my email addresses was there too.
James
-- james kilty
blimey, that pipl.com is a little scarey !
But it's good for finding people. There are others that harvest from
social networks as well. The crooks who assemble personal data for
misuse can have a field day if we are not careful. I don't put my d.o.b.
anywhere public, and my web sites and phone book also provide what's on
pipl.com. Ditto when I chat about ancestors and family tree - no
d.o.b.s.

James
It is quite scary how much information there is out there, and how it is used. When I got engaged I placed an announcement in 'The Times'. Shortly afterwards wedding marketing material was delivered to my wife's parents house, and to my parents old address. The information in the advert was not particularly detailed, and the spammers had definitely obtained it from the advert text - not from the sales database, so on the one hand I was quite impressed, otoh the marketing material was treated with the respect it deserved.

Admittedly, we both had very unusual surnames so I should imagine that we were an easier target than Mr J Smith and Miss A Jones.