Re: [LUG] Snow

Martinus Scriblerus wrote:
2010/1/6 Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Keith Abraham wrote:
I'd second the desire for a pasty. I haven't had a decent pasty since I
left the good old West Country (5 years ago).  Merely the thought of a pasty
make me want to get on the train and head south.

I wouldn't travel on the train at the moment, you know wrong type of snow
and all that :-)

The "wrong type of snow" was when we got dry powdery snoe instead of
the usual wet slushy stuff. There was a new class of train on Network
South East that was vulnerable to the dry stuff getting into the
motors.

The problem down here is with the Cross Country, ex Virgin, rolling
stock when they have the wrong kind of water on the line. In  this
case salt water at Dawlish.
Ahh yeah, I remember the times when I lived in Teignmouth when they had problems on the line in winter. I guess it's pretty much unavoidable without moving the tracks, even then where could they move to?

I'd have to admit too, I try and avoid traveling on Cross Country trains, those automatic doors between carriages are lethal and I didn't like the all to often case of feeling like cattle being herded about. Wasn't too bad travelling between Derby and Burton On Trent (a 10 minute journey) or between Derby/Chesterfield/Sheffield, but any longer than this and I'd rather choose an alternative train provider if possible.

From experience though I've found First Great Western high speed trains (the big ones, not the small little local ones) to be fairly comfortable.

Rob