Re: [LUG] Snow

Grant Sewell wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 11:39:12 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson wrote:
No exccuse for some of the muppetry driving I saw though. One car on
it's side on the road into Exmouth...

Gordon

It would seem that the majority of people seem to think that a greater
amount of torque is a Good Thing in snow.  History seems to show,
repeatedly, that they are wrong.

Couldn't have said it better... muppets.

Grant.
I watched with some amusement/shock earlier at one of the neighbours coming down our street. Being on a side street we haven't had any gritting and the snow hasn't melted enough (it's no so bad on the main road). Anyway, our neighbour trundled along down the road at her regular speed (must have been about 20mph ish), then slammed on the breaks where the road bends and goes down hill. God knows how she didn't hit anything, but she slid down the hill at an ever increasing speed. I'm guessing she must have got some grip near the bottom of the road. It was just lucky there were no kids out playing in the street at that particular moment.

Another neighbour who had the sense to go slowly (i.e. about 1mph) still slid a bit down the hill, luckily they were going slow enough to keep in to the side of the road and not bump any cars/small children/etc.

The wife and I have made a decision to walk to the shops and leave the car where it is for the next couple of days.

Rob