Re: [LUG] /opt

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 08:33:32 -0000
"Michael Mortimore" <nospamformike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 22:43:07 -0000, g_remlin
> <g_remlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Version 2.3 of the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (in part) states:
> >
> > "/opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application
> > software packages.
> > A package to be installed in /opt must locate its static ïles in a
> > separate /opt/<package> or
> > /opt/<provider> directory tree, where <package> is a name that
> > describes the software package and
> > <provider> is the providerâs LANANA registered name."
> >
> > and
> >
> > "The
> > directories /opt/bin, /opt/doc, /opt/include, /opt/info, /opt/lib,
> > and /opt/man are reserved for local system administrator use.
> > Packages may provide "front-end" ïles intended to be placed in (by
> > linking or copying) these reserved directories by the local system
> > administrator, but must function normally in the absence
> > of these reserved directories."
> >
> > See http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ for details.
> >
> > If anyone knows of a later version, please post...
> >
> What's the difference between /opt and /usr/local? I did read (bits
> of) the link but to me it seems like they serve the same purpose.

Similar but /usr/local is for building versions of 'system' packages -
the main app itself whilst the FHS offers /opt/ for addons to existing
packages in /usr/. I don't think it's a particularly significant
difference but the important point is that neither /usr/local/
nor /opt/ are suitable for packages to use directly when the package
is meant to be trying to follow the FHS with a view to being used in
distributions. What the local admin decides to do with /usr/local
and /opt/ is up to them.

--

Neil Williams