Re: [LUG] /opt

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 18:58:47 +0000
James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 10:51:18 +0000 (GMT)
> > Peter Lloyd-Jones <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> As you know I am a model railroad enthusiast.  Currently we tend to
> >> let the user store the programme Java Model Railroad Interface in
> >> his home directory.
> >>
> >> I was wondering if in fact it should live in /opt.
> >
> > NO. No, No, never, absolutely not, under no circumstances, no
> > excuses, must not, can not, do not.!!!
>
> I'm going to create my own data file under /opt right now, just to see
> if Neil's head explodes :)

I put all my development work under /opt - the point is that a package
must not do so - precisely because /opt/ can be used for such purposes
and there is no way of knowing whether stuff exists in the directory
contained in the package. Packages must not override user data and
as /opt/ is reserved for user data (where user can also mean local
admin use), packages have no right to put anything there.

--

Neil Williams