Re: [LUG] OT-Chips and how everything is more expensive these days - Optical Mice - Christmas Stocking Fillers

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 08:04:25AM +0000, tom wrote:
> Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:

> >> What's the difference between a £85 cable and a £8 one? (other than price)
> >>

> > I do have to wonder exactly how much difference it would make. Anybody
> > conducted any double-blind trials of audio cables?
> >
> Double blind tests stopped in about 1969 when the Golden Ears of the
> hifi magazines were asked to tell the difference between quad Mk11 valve
> amps(1% distortion) 33/303 (0.1% distortion) combos and 45/405 (0.01%).
> They couldnt spot the differences.

I seem to recall hearing that online hi-fi forums banned discussion of
double-blind trials. Presumably they don't like hearing evidence that
they've been conned.

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx || gpg: 0x166891C7
...you are undone if you once forget that the fruits of the earth belong to us