Re: [LUG] New "Psion" sub-netbook

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

Philip Whateley wrote:
Just found this:
http://www.psixpda.com/

The company is owned by an ex-Psion engineer.

Having contacted them, they are offering two versions (either Windows XP
pro or Ubuntu (I assume UNR), both at £499.99, which seems a bit pricey.

I might be interested if the price was lower, as I need something that
will slip into a pocket, but has a qwerty keyboard (albeit a little
small for serious typing)

Phil

Yep it is a bit pricey really. I'm sure Gordon said that the new Nokia phone which runs Linux is cheaper than this (I know this isn't a phone, but from what I hear about it, I guess it's along the same sort of lines).

Rumoured to be had for £440, but the going rate seems to be about £499

The keyboard isn't quite a nice looking on the N900 as this though, but it does have a phone built in - which means immediate access to mobile data. You'll need to tether the xpda to a phone using bluetooth, although the spec. sheet does say "3G Options".

One advantage to this might be that it's an intel processor, so easier to adapt/run existing intel code on it, rather than cross compile ARM code for the Nokia.

However the Nokia has a 5MP camera, dual LED flash, and what appears to be "more" to my eyes at least, for the same price.

Still I'm sure this new device will find a few followers who have 500 quid spare to spend on one.

That's the crux right now - I'll need to finish off the software for the dive computer I bought and sell some before I have any more "toy money" ...

Gordon