Re: [LUG] Correct BIOS / irqpoll in Debian

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Steph Foster wrote:

Alternatively its a matter of opening your case up ( with power off and maintaining antistatic precautions) and theres is usually a jumper close to the CMOS battery.

Shift the jumper to the opposite position , waiting 5 - 10 seconds and then putting the jumper back again.

Henry's sorted by the sounds of it, however just a warning if you try this... Do read the motherboard manual first. Sometimes what this does is short-circuit the battery which is why it's important to remove the battery first... It probably won't cause any problems with the battery - in terms of explosions, but it'll probably get hot and end up flat.

Still - I have a handfull of CR2032's and I always change the motheboard battery for a new one if it's over 3 years old... I've had them go flat on me after 4 years - usually no big issue unless it's remote and you're expecting it to power-up automatically...

Gordon