Re: [LUG] Openoffice help

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 02:33:20PM +0000, Terry Hill wrote:
> >> Thanks everyone for the swift replies, I appreciate it.
> >>
> >> Gnuplot really does produce some good results, I'm sold.  Just setting
> >> it up now as per Harvey's instructions.  I did try the other solutions
> >> put forward in openoffice but I can't get anything useable.  I was
> >> about to resort to installing an old copy of photoshop from the old
> >> days (as I know my way around it), dont have much time though as this
> >> needs handing in tomorrow.
> >>
> >> I've included the tables already into my essay so it's just the graph now.
> >
> > And of-course, you're doing your essay in LaTeX, aren't you... ;-)
>
> Hell no!  I'm using openoffice writer, which looks like office and has
> all the bells and whistles I need.  Lets stick to just one new
> software package for one day, I've still got 2000 words to deliver by
> Wednesday in another subject, so I'm really pushed for time atm.

When available, invest the time learning:
- latex (and vim :) )
- R (especially if continuing with Biology)

> I'm getting an error in gnuplot - I've had a funky graph up but I keep
> getting " ';' expected, with a carat pointing up at the plot line,
> pointing to the x in x1y1, f(x)

All of the plot commands should be on one line. If you are putting it on
two lines then the first line should end with a ", \"

The commands I gave you worked on my machine. Using gnuplot you will
find it helpful if
- your data is in one file (eg datafile)
- your gnuplot commands are in another file (eg gnu.test)

If so then in gnuplot type "load gnu.test"

That will call up the commands and the data file, plotting the graph

You can then add fresh commands directly to gnuplot and replot the graph
(command "replot")

Once the commands work then amend the gnu.test file

If you are having problems then email me directly and I will have a look
at your file. To be honest though I do not use gnuplot a lot: I spent a
fair amount of time getting my graphs the way I wanted them, and then
re-use the same commands each time.

> Think I'll be spending some time in gnuplot when I get the time, I can
> think of a few applications already, looks great.
>
> Oh, the funky graph doesn't seem to start at 0 either, it's starting
> at 0.1 even though I've got 0.0 in my datafile...

In those immortal works "RTFM". Again in my file it started at 0. The
variabilities are endless...
--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.