Re: [LUG] Openoffice help

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:58:31AM +0000, Terry Hill wrote:

> I've attached the file so you can take a look if you're interested.
> The problem lies in the X axis, which shows concentration of solutions
> used.  I cant get the scale right, as the gap between 0 and 0.1 is the
> same as for say 0.3 to 0.5, so it gives the chart a "kink".  Secondly,
> I'd prefer the Molarity listed along the bottom, but no amount of
> fiddling lets me.
>
> Lastly, I'd like to highlight the point where the % change is at 0,
> and draw a line down to show the molarity at this point (as this shows
> the innate water potential of the potato cells).
>
> If anyone can help I'd appreciate it, I'm getting balder by the
> minute.  Also I'd like to shut up one rather smug m$ office user who
> views me as a peasant for using OO.

See attached as an initial chart using gnuplot

Commands to generate the graph in gnuplot were as follows

        reset
        set key autotitle columnheader
        set mxtics 2
        set mytics 2
        set grid
        set ylabel "% change"
        set xlabel "Molarity"
        f(x)=0
        plot "datafile" using 1:2 title "Molarity vs % change" with lines x1y1, \
        f(x)
        set term png
        set output "chart.png"
        replot
        set term X11

You will need to store your data in a plain text file called "datafile"
in two columns. The first column is molarity, the second column is %
change

See http://t16web.lanl.gov/Kawano/gnuplot/index-e.html for gnuplot FAQ
http://www.gnuplot.info/docs/node1.html for commands

There is a great deal of flexibility using gnuplot, however if you want to
analyse and plot the data then I would suggest spending some time learning R

Finally I suspect the problem you had with your openoffice chart was using the
options "lines", if you chose an XY plot then the problem might disappear.
However... I think gnuplot is better

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.