Re: [LUG] Grism.org

Neil Williams wrote:
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 21:45:02 +0000
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:36:28 +0000

It is convenient to download a pre-built .deb but it is not only
insecure, it is a positive hindrance to normal upgrade behaviour
across the rest of the distribution.
Although very handy for testing if you have a suitable machine around!

or a chroot - but then creating chroots isn't something most users do
routinely, especially getting chroot packages to then use Xorg.
The source tarball setup file is a ruby file that tries to install
grism to /usr/bin, so unless you know Ruby, I'd skip trying to run it
from source.

Naughty.
On a vanilla Debian Lenny install it installs a menu option under
"Office". It starts and stops as you'd expect. I added Share to
Watch, I added share to portfolios, it calculated profit/loss.

Best I could say is it shows promise.

It crashed trying to chart a year of IBM stock.

:-(
Because it is always retrieving stuff from Yahoo it is surprisingly
slow (it should pre-empt my needs more probably and get rid of the
round trip delays).

It doesn't support alerts or other features common to Yahoo! Finance,
Google finance.

So probably not the tool John was looking for. Although any Ruby
programmers might think "I can fix it".

Doesn't sound like it's ready for Debian at the moment either. It would
need a Ruby developer already working with the Debian Ruby team to get
it into some sort of decent shape.

Just because software is free doesn't mean it's any good - there can be
other reasons why package foo isn't in Debian or Ubuntu apart from a
lack of time by interested maintainers, the package may just be crud.

So it is back to looking for a suitable and secure programme.
Neil's comments are quite worrying so I shall follow his advice.

Have a nice weekend!

John W