Re: [LUG] Grism.org

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 21:45:02 +0000
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:36:28 +0000
> >
> > It is convenient to download a pre-built .deb but it is not only
> > insecure, it is a positive hindrance to normal upgrade behaviour
> > across the rest of the distribution.
>
> Although very handy for testing if you have a suitable machine around!

or a chroot - but then creating chroots isn't something most users do
routinely, especially getting chroot packages to then use Xorg.

> The source tarball setup file is a ruby file that tries to install
> grism to /usr/bin, so unless you know Ruby, I'd skip trying to run it
> from source.

Naughty.

> On a vanilla Debian Lenny install it installs a menu option under
> "Office". It starts and stops as you'd expect. I added Share to
> Watch, I added share to portfolios, it calculated profit/loss.
>
> Best I could say is it shows promise.
>
> It crashed trying to chart a year of IBM stock.

:-(

> Because it is always retrieving stuff from Yahoo it is surprisingly
> slow (it should pre-empt my needs more probably and get rid of the
> round trip delays).
>
> It doesn't support alerts or other features common to Yahoo! Finance,
> Google finance.
>
> So probably not the tool John was looking for. Although any Ruby
> programmers might think "I can fix it".

Doesn't sound like it's ready for Debian at the moment either. It would
need a Ruby developer already working with the Debian Ruby team to get
it into some sort of decent shape.

Just because software is free doesn't mean it's any good - there can be
other reasons why package foo isn't in Debian or Ubuntu apart from a
lack of time by interested maintainers, the package may just be crud.

--

Neil Williams