Re: [LUG] Grism.org

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:36:28 +0000
>
> It is convenient to download a pre-built .deb but it is not only
> insecure, it is a positive hindrance to normal upgrade behaviour across
> the rest of the distribution.

Although very handy for testing if you have a suitable machine around!

> The only real answer is to get someone to package it properly for
> Debian and therefore Ubuntu.

I believe I suggested to OP he file a request for it to be packaged if
he likes it. Definitely the way to handle these things, and if a tool is
good it isn't hard to find people to do the packaging usually.

Had a quick play with Grism.

Seems like a very basic portfolio tool.

It seems to assume all money is US Dollars?!

I noted errors in data from Yahoo! Finance feed in my quick test (The
shares are a steal at $0 and I thought it was Grism at first), so
relying on Yahoo! finance doesn't seem to be ideal (although a lot of
tools do that).

The source tarball setup file is a ruby file that tries to install grism
to /usr/bin, so unless you know Ruby, I'd skip trying to run it from source.

On a vanilla Debian Lenny install it installs a menu option under
"Office". It starts and stops as you'd expect. I added Share to Watch, I
added share to portfolios, it calculated profit/loss.

Best I could say is it shows promise.

It crashed trying to chart a year of IBM stock.

Because it is always retrieving stuff from Yahoo it is surprisingly slow
(it should pre-empt my needs more probably and get rid of the round trip
delays).

It doesn't support alerts or other features common to Yahoo! Finance,
Google finance.

So probably not the tool John was looking for. Although any Ruby
programmers might think "I can fix it".

 Simon