Re: [LUG] HD TV cards

On 28/11/2009 16:41, James Fidell wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:

If I understand correctly, none of the currently available Freeview TV cards will work with Freeview HD, only the standard Freeview.

I don't *think* that's correct. I believe some people on the mythtv
list have been recording Freeview HD using existing cards since the
test transmissions began at Crystal Palace(?).

I believe FreeSat HD requires a different tuner card though, because
that *is* different from the standard quality transmissions (DVB-S2 as
opposed to DVB-S).

I may be entirely mistaken.

James

Nope, it's DVB-T2 for Freeview HD...

"The second technology is called DVB-T2, which is a brand new transmission method which the UK will be the first country to deploy. It’s this that means that current equipment will not be able to tune into the Freeview HD service, as all current terrestrial products use DVB-T, rather than DVB-T2."

Taken from The Register Hardware guide to Freeview HD: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11/23/freeview_hd_questions_answered/

If I understand correctly, BBC HD was broadcasting using MPEG2 over DVB-S in the early days, although I gather it is now using MPEG4 and DVB-S2.

Rob