Re: [LUG] HD TV cards

On 28/11/2009 10:36, tom wrote:
Anyone got a clue about what will work with freeview HD or whatever its called this week?
Tom te teom

If I understand correctly, none of the currently available Freeview TV cards will work with Freeview HD, only the standard Freeview. This is due to the fact that Freeview HD uses the DVB-T2 transmission standard rather than the older DVB-T standard that Freeview uses.

I dare say that DVB-T2 cards will come out sooner or later, possibly from some of the bigger names such as Hauppage and Pinnacle, with cheaper cards and USB sticks coming out later on next year. Then comes the joyful task of getting Linux support for them.

Folks in some parts of Europe (France for instance) can already get HD on digital terestrial TV by using a standard DVB-T card/stick as they simply replace the MPEG2 transmissions with MPEG4. Sods law though it isn't the case over here in Blighty.

On the other hand, if you're desperate for HD at the moment it looks like your only choice is to go down the satellite route. Again for future proofing you'd really be looking at a DVB-S2 card/USB device. I believe that some HD channels were transmitting on DVB-S, not sure if they still do (I believe BBC HD was the only one which was), but now DVB-S2 cards are getting cheaper and better supported anyway.

Rob