[LUG] Screen resolution and refresh woes

Hi everyone, I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my pc at work and it is setting my crt monitor to its top resolution.

Unfortunately the screen flickers at that setting and I have to knock it back to a lower one.

However I cannot get this version to save the settings I choose.

I had the same problem with the last version and to fix it I had to run nvidia-settings as root, this would then allow me to save the configuration.

 When I try sudo nvidia-settings now, and then try to save the settings I get,

Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'!

I have opened up xorg.conf to see if I could manually edit it, but there are no relevant  entries to edit, I assume some lines have to be added.

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Mike