Re: [LUG] Download meter for demon internet.

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 22:40 +0000, james kilty wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 20:20 +0000, John Williams wrote:
>
> > Your not doing enough damage then ;)
> > Demon have a fully automated response system that will step out and
> > powerspank you for 30 days at only 128kbit maximum speed.
>
> Do they inform us if they do this? I have noticed slow download rates
> but I have not counted how many days or if it is continuous as I don't
> often monitor rates.

I think they are meant to email you a warning if you get close, but I
have seen people on forums state they never received a warning that they
were getting close to the limit. Last time I looked there was nothing in
the FuP about being warned if you got close either.

Not related to being put into the sin bin, but I use a teeny script in
conjunction with vnstat to log my internet speed every 5minutes. I
knocked it up when I was having line problems and when talking to the
tech support people when the problem reoccurred many months later they
were interested to see the long term log, :]

I will attach it here, like the other script it depends on vnstat
        sudo apt-get install vnstat

then add the following to your cron
        */5 * * * * /home/subbass/bin/bwsample > /dev/null 2>&1

Adjust the path to bwsample of course to where you put it, the /5 means
every 5minutes, it seems to have no noticible resources impact but you
can change it to 10 mins or more if you wanted.

It will record the current  speed you are downloading at into a plain
text file ~/rxspeed.txt

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides