Re: [LUG] Screen resolution and refresh woes

miketidball wrote:

Hi everyone, I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my pc at work and it is setting my crt monitor to its top resolution.

Unfortunately the screen flickers at that setting and I have to knock it back to a lower one.

However I cannot get this version to save the settings I choose.

I had the same problem with the last version and to fix it I had to run nvidia-settings as root, this would then allow me to save the configuration.

When I try sudo nvidia-settings now, and then try to save the settings I get,

Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'!

I have opened up xorg.conf to see if I could manually edit it, but there are no relevant entries to edit, I assume some lines have to be added.

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Mike
Mike

Try getting the xorg.conf file reset by Ubuntu and go from there...

Reboot and at the Grub menu (you'll need to be quick ;) ) select "recovery mode". From memory I think it asks you a few questions but basically you want the option that resets the video mode. It should boot into a low resolution and you can then try using the nvidia tools again...

Martin