Re: [LUG] MS getting a hammering: was OT- Cheap Laptop

Not yet but i did see it being given out to a set number of attendees at a con somewhere in Oct... ah here is the article http://blogs.arm.com/arm-events/software-sessions-free-pegatron-nettopwhile-supplies-last/

So not vapourware, by any means.

2009/11/20 Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>

tom wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>> tom wrote:
>>> A couple of links may that may be of interest re netbooks:
>>> netbooks up 265% http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=27383&tag=nl.e539
>>> win7 not fit  for netbooks:
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4487&tag=col1;post-27383
>>>
>> I couldn't understand Microsoft's reasoning behind the Windows 7
>> Starter edition.  I mean, not being able to change your desktop
>> personalisation?
>>
>> No multi monitor support?
>>
>> I dunno, I guess Microsoft want people to buy laptops or PCs as well
>> as netbooks, or have them fork out extra for Windows 7 Home Premium.
> MS want to kill netbooks - the new ARM versions (Windows dont run on
> arm) can be so good and so cheap that MS margins will be killed - they
> tried it with the OLPC. a £150 netbook that does EVERYTHING you need it
> to cost 30% more with W$ and then companies need extra W$ servers to
> 'cope'. A netbook that runs and just works and doesnt need massive
> infrastructure support will make people go Why Windows? and not find an
> answer.
>>
>> Not being able to support multi monitors is a bad thing if you ask
>> me.  Especially if some people want to use their netbook attached to
>> an external monitor, keyboard and mouse as a general machine.
>>
>> Saying that, Windows 7 Home Premium has got VERY poor multi monitor
>> support.  It keeps giving me random settings on my other half's PC,
>> sometimes not enabling the second display, sometimes mirroring the
>> displays, sometimes making the second monitor the default, and other
>> times actually remembering what I originally set it to.  This is part
>> of the reason why I will not be building a Windows based Media Centre
>> PC (I must admit, I was tempted, but I can't put up with these and
>> other faults).
>>> Information is power! I'm worth a AAA battery.
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>
>> LMAO, I thought you'd be wind powered.
> I am really!
> Tom te tom te tom

Regarding ARM netbooks where are they,  I have read about this

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/09/pegatron-and-freescale-team-for-low-power-ultra-cheap-netbooks/

but no idea if they are out yet,  where to get them, can we buy in the
UK etc etc.

It seems they are at present all hype,  super cheap, fast and power
friendly,  but unless people can buy them ...

any ideas where they can be bought from ?

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
The December meeting of the DCLUG will now take place on the SECOND
Saturday in December.  This is December 12th 2009.