Re: [LUG] MS getting a hammering: was OT- Cheap Laptop

Rob Beard wrote:
tom wrote:
A couple of links may that may be of interest re netbooks:
netbooks up 265% http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=27383&tag=nl.e539
win7 not fit  for netbooks:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4487&tag=col1;post-27383

I couldn't understand Microsoft's reasoning behind the Windows 7 Starter edition. I mean, not being able to change your desktop personalisation?

No multi monitor support?

I dunno, I guess Microsoft want people to buy laptops or PCs as well as netbooks, or have them fork out extra for Windows 7 Home Premium.
MS want to kill netbooks - the new ARM versions (Windows dont run on arm) can be so good and so cheap that MS margins will be killed - they tried it with the OLPC. a £150 netbook that does EVERYTHING you need it to cost 30% more with W$ and then companies need extra W$ servers to 'cope'. A netbook that runs and just works and doesnt need massive infrastructure support will make people go Why Windows? and not find an answer.

Not being able to support multi monitors is a bad thing if you ask me. Especially if some people want to use their netbook attached to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse as a general machine.

Saying that, Windows 7 Home Premium has got VERY poor multi monitor support. It keeps giving me random settings on my other half's PC, sometimes not enabling the second display, sometimes mirroring the displays, sometimes making the second monitor the default, and other times actually remembering what I originally set it to. This is part of the reason why I will not be building a Windows based Media Centre PC (I must admit, I was tempted, but I can't put up with these and other faults).
Information is power! I'm worth a AAA battery.
Tom te tom te tom

LMAO, I thought you'd be wind powered.
I am really!
Tom te tom te tom