Re: [LUG] A suggestion for a Colaborative Lug project.

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, tom wrote:

One thing that never ceases to amaze me was that the .NET/CLI languages concept of a standard variable set definition shared across multiple languages so that any language could interact with any other, has never been fully taken up elsewhere. I even tried to get the .MONO crowd to allow multiple languages to be used in a single class before I gave up .NET.

Hm.. I've no experience of .NET, but way back (like 25+ years back), I was linking FORTRAN and C programs together (as well as Pascal and assembler) on both Unix boxes and (spit) Prime minicomputers.

However PHP can talk to C and C++ and other compiled languages and is not bad for testing out ideas that can then be hardwired in a compiled language when pretty static to speed things up.

I've never had the need to re-write a PHP program into something faster. My entire VoIP billing and invoicing system in written in PHP - some of it is web facing, some command-line (or batch-file driven) Most of the time they are waiting on MySQL, or writing files, so re-writing them in C would be of little benefit.

There is some pretty innefficient (and insecure!) PHP code out there though - however most of the active (and commercial) projects are getting a lot better - e.g. vBulletin - I have one (dual processor/4GB) server dedicated to a vBulletin board and it's stupidly busy, even with the Zend optimiser thingy working on it too.

Gordon