Re: [LUG] A suggestion for a Colaborative Lug project.

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 23:10:25 +0000
kevin <kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I thought of a Lug Xmas List manager!
> > > Data base driven
> > > I could possibly manage crude php but I know how it's frowned on for
> > > external security so some other Nix based coded front end,
> >
> > PHP is as secure as you care to program it in. You can create gaping wide
> > open security holes in any language you care to use, if you don't use it
> > sensibly.
> >
> True;
>  what then  would be the best language we could all contribute in ?

Still use PHP but use someone else's PHP and don't require users to
actually write or modify the PHP code. i.e. a CMS or Wiki, umm, like
the one we have or one using something like drupal or joomla.

There is no need for a new application here, this style of app has been
done to death already. There are more packages and plugins already
available (and themes) than can possibly ever be fully utilised - use
what already exists.

The need in free software is for more people to work on *existing*
projects, not create new ones with a "not-invented-here" attitude. Tens
of thousands of apps are out there, just waiting for someone to invest
some time and care.

Revitalising old code can be hard (I've done my share) but rewriting a
stale but working app merely because you can (or, worse, because you
want to use a different language) is madness.

Starting from scratch means having to redo all the lessons learnt
whilst developing the existing code but what free software needs is for
the existing applications to have a higher quality, more polish, more
developer time and more people using these existing apps to file bugs
and seek enhancements.

Before you start *any* new project, do your research and find out if
something out there can be adapted to what you need. There are some new
projects that are genuinely new, a database-driven web list is not one
of them.

Stop wasting time; NEW is BAD, updates are GOOD.

--

Neil Williams