Re: [LUG] Nice little Linux based media player device

Martin Gautier wrote:

tom wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
PDF is useful for nothing.

You may not like it, but it's out there and not going away. It's also an open standard based on postScript (which, again, is too heavyweight for an eBook IMO)
See later...

. All you need is a trivial markup language and a nice display...
Now where can we find that?

It's called [n,t]roff ... I wrote a clone of troff onceuponatime. Wish I still had that code...
I was thinking more of HTML - works perfectly and doesn't demand a page width if used properly. My last job involved working on WEB accessibility for a council. I would say that 99.9% of the documents they produced in DOC or PDF from violated the required accessibility rules.These were easily converted into free flowing HTML. They displayed perfectly well on screen - no need to print no need to consider printing. The HTML documents were so much more useful.

Almost all books I read would loose very little and gain lots to be in HTML. Alas most PDF etc has to be printed* which means its UNFIT for a computer, and out of date and insecure before its finished printing. Information management is so much easier if you ditch that dinosaur paper format. Or are your ideas only 210*297mm ?

Tom te tom te tom

* if I've got document I might refer to a lot I sometimes cut and paste it into a set of HTML files so I don't have to keep crawling to the index and back as there seems to be only two people in the world actually put working hyperlinks in PDF docs.

Hmm. HTML is a visual display mechanism, as is PDF though PDF has the added benefit of being printable exactly as the author decides
Not on my dot matrix it doesnt, and especially not if I print it booklet format, or on different sized paper and tell it to fit to page. I worked for a label company and we tried to use it for remote printing of labels - it just didn't work.
- ideal for prototyping and sampling of advanced (where I mean complex copy & image layouts) documentation such as brochures. try doing that in HTML and then find me a browser that will print it out properly. Many PDF documents I read regularly are never printed.
Ditto with HTML but they're cheaper and lot more user friendly. Enlarge decent HTML and it re-formats to fit the page, do the same with PDF and it goes off-screen.

Anyway. What we all should be using for all documentation is XML - in the form of DocBook. That way the end user can decide exactly how they wish to the view the document whether it be DOC, ODF, PDF, HTML, Postscript or any of the whackey e-reader botch-ups. Content should be completely divorsed from presentation until the point of delivery.
HTML will do - someone will find a way to screw up XML the way HTML was screwed - OH they have: OOXML!
Tom te tom te tom