Re: [LUG] Nice little Linux based media player device

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 22:39:10 +0000
Rob Beard wrote:

> Michael Mortimore wrote:
> > On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:56:24 -0000, Grant Sewell
> > <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Looks interesting.  I wonder if the UI is Free, and if it is how
> >> easy it'd be to get it running on a higher spec machine.
> >
> > If you're only interested in the UI, have you looked at mythtv?
> > pretty spiffy pvr solution which probably can do more than the
> > hisense can. It supports recording tv based on schedules, playing
> > videos and music from any mounted drive (as long as you tell it to
> > look there), dvds, remotes via lirc and you can choose which
> > players it uses (or use the internal one).
> >
> I'd agree with that, looking at the review of the device, MythTV
> looks nicer.  Or even dare I say it, Windows Media Center.

I had Mythbuntu on my media centre for a while.  To be honest, MythTV
can do a heck of a lot, but its UI is not that great and is/can be very
confusing for people more used to "main-stream" standalone applications
- ie Amarok, iTunes, etc, etc.

> > for the lazy option, install ubuntu then the mythbuntu-desktop
> > package. whether you chose ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu or whatever,
> > make sure to use gdm if you want the autologin feature to work from
> > mythbuntu control centre (if you use kdm then you have to set it in
> > the system settings). if you're having the box as a dedicated media
> > centre, xubuntu is probably the best option since mythbuntu-desktop
> > makes use of xfce too.
>
> When I get a dedicated machine this is what I'll probably do.  I've
> been playing around with Windows Media Center this evening on Windows
> 7.  I hate to admit it, but Windows 7 and MCE is nice, very nice.  It
> still did give me more grief than Ubuntu though (there is an annoying
> feature in Windows 7 where by default you can't output the same audio
> via digital output and analogue outputs at the same time).

Because you *might* be copying the AV through the analogue output!  God
forbid you might not have bought the latest £1000s worth of AV kit and
merely want to play your AV on the kit you *do* have... oh, no... if
you have analogue kit then you're clearly intent on copying media!

*and relax*

Grant. :D