Re: [LUG] OT: Broadband Options (Again)

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Shaun Orchard wrote:

2009/10/29 Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Changing node is relatively easy - drop the ppp connection for 30 seconds
(leave the ADSL connection up, if possible)

However - I am surprised as I rarely see anything other than the full 8Mb on
my own connection and I've just been on the phone to a customer who were
complianing of slow downloads only to find that they'd exceeded their 45GB
peak allowance this month )-: (Enta now throttle to 128Kb for the next GB
before pulling the plug until the end of the period) This customer connects
at 22Mb/sec and can max-out their line from some sites ...

Since the move to IPSC and WBC, you can't change nodes like you could
with centrals - you're stuck with whichever one you are assigned to.

Hm. Maybe you're right. Will check later.

IPSC performance has been truly dire for a few weeks now, particularly
at weekends and late evenings. No one seems to know why Entanet is not
upgrading capacity, so much so that some resellers are strongly
considering a move away from selling Entanet products at all.  WBC
performance may be better, but you are still at the mercy of the one
node you are stuck on.

I've seen this on the forums, etc. However I don't see it myself at all, or for my customers who all seem very happy with the performance, so it's hard for me to work out what's going on.

I am in the process of moving ISP because of the shoddy performance,
and the total lack of communication / fobbing off (when I joined they
were far more open and transparent than they are now).

They seemed to have lost a lot of support staff this year - no indication why though.

Gordon