Re: [LUG] OT: Broadband Options (Again)

Simon Williams wrote:
Terry Hill wrote:
Sorry to trawl this old gem up again, but I'm moving in a couple of
weeks and it's time to sort the broadband out.

I've been with Tiscali for the last couple of years, and they're fine
until you have a problem, then they become worse than useless.  The
support is overseas and the support people read off a crib sheet of
some sort, seemingly with only a cursory knowledge of what they are
doing.

So who do you use at the moment, whats the support like and have you
found the holy grail of an unlimited connection without paying a
fortune?

Right now I'm considering heading to BT, although their unlimited
package is quite expensive imo...

I've been with Eclipse for ages. They're cheap, they provide static IPs, their customer service is in this country and has been very good in my experience. They have had mixed reviews at times, but I think that was because they were getting customers faster than they could cope with. I'm almost certain that all of my issues have been due to the useless ADSL hardware I was using. Those that weren't I put down to the line/exchange.

I used to use Eclipse and didn't have any problems apart from billing where they didn't charge me for 18 months and then hit me with a big bill. Because of that I wouldn't touch them again.
Last time I checked you had a choice between fast connection with quota or slower connection with no quota. I'm on a 10Gb/month quota and surprisingly we only go over it when I do mass updates. It works out much cheaper for me to buy a bit more when this happens, rather than go with an unlimited package all year round. And if I don't buy more the connection is just slowed to 512kbps or something, which is no real disaster for me.

Doesn't sound too bad I guess. On a slow connection (say 2 Meg or under) I'd also suggest an Enta reseller. I couldn't recommend them for anything faster though. A customer of mine is on an 8 Meg Enta connection and they're lucky if they get 2 Megs during the day. But that could be related to the node they're on.

Rob