Re: [LUG] Request for assistance regarding modems

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Max Siegieda wrote:

By golly that was quick, suppose I better reply, Simon by golly i'm taking
your advice and purchasing one of those DrayTeks however that might delay
things quite a bit.

Hm. well, the RRP is £49 + VAT... Broadband buyer aren't making much on them at all... Best I could offer would be £45 inc VAT as a special DCGLUG price for collection or very local delivery only...

Rob I know I can use a router through a router however i've already got one
router being used through another, adding one more to this pile isn't going
to help.

You can use some existing router/modem combos in modem only mode though...

I went with the Linksys because it's got plenty of nice features
such as proper QoS that only tend to count when it's the first router in the
pile. As for returning this Linksys that's just not an option, Dell have
screwed us over enough without having to go through them a second time
(should never let dad order from places).

QoS is fine - when everyone supports it. I don't know any UK ISP that might honour it over their networks. It may help to prioritise outbound traffic though, but my own experiences suggest otherwise. (Or the implementations are rubbish) I have had reasonable results with the traffic shaping in Drayteks, but 2820's start at £expensive.

My own plans are to start to use ADSL modems with my own routers (& PBXs) so I can do the entire thing properly with Linux..

Annex M is wanted because we may or may not have it available here now or in
the near future and we tend to upload a lot of stuff so I like the idea.

It's unlikely you'll get it unless with Be or another LLU operator who decides to support it, although I've no idea if BT are ever going to support it - given that they can barely support ADSL2+ I suspect it's unlikely...

Gordon