Re: [LUG] Request for assistance regarding modems

Max Siegieda wrote:
Hello there everyone! I'm currently sat in the middle of a predicament and i'm wondering if anyone here can help, my problem is as follows:

    * My old modem/router combo doesn't support ADSL2+, we have recently
      switched to one of these shiny connections
    * We bought a router thinking this would solve the problem (Linksys
      WRT54GL) however we forgot the modem
    * I now require a modem (without the router, just the modem) that
      supports ADSL2+ and ideally Annex M, they seem to be hard to find

Any help with the finding of such a modem would be appreciated.

Most ADSL hardware sucks. Don't be cheap on this one. I've tried it and it's not worth it. Just go and by a Draytek Vigor 120 or similar. They're not cheap (about 50 pounds on ebay), but it's worth it.

Avoid D-Link - they suck at everything.
Avoid all ADSL router combo boxes- they all suck without exception.

The Draytek is a true PPPoA to PPPoE bridge, meaning that you don't need to login to a web interface on the modem to put the connection details in. Instead, the router has full control over the connection- you put the details in the PPPoE config on your router. This is a sign of a good business class device which stands at least some chance of working. Don't buy any boxes which are essentially 1-port routers in bridge mode (many claim to be pure ethernet modems but this is not true), such as D-Link DSL-300T.

Hope this helps.
Simon