Re: [LUG] unix is 40 years old this year

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 08:02 +0100, tom wrote:

> This was a single bit computer that turned a light on saying 'Hardware
> Fault' and was programmed with stacks of punch cards rearranged
> randomly by the operators.

I still remember seeing a guy walk into the computer centre with a stack
of punched cards, and... oops! Oh dear, he tripped and the cards fell on
the ground with some of them going into a puddle! :-) Shame, but I must
admit I did laugh. I was very careful myself after that when carrying
cards.

Oh, and the other thing of course was that the cards had your userid and
password punched onto them, so you actually 'logged in' to the
mainframe. Since the cards were put into a pigeon-hole after being
punched and/or read, anyone could look at your cards and see the
userid/pwd. Security really wasn't much of a problem back then :-)

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001