Re: [LUG] unix is 40 years old this year

James Fidell wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Paul Sutton wrote:

http://www.unix.org/
I claim boring old guy!!! (Although I've just shaved off the grey beard
I was sporting at the last meet!)

I first used a Unix system when I was 19... That was 28 years ago, so I
didn't quite get into it in it's first decade. It was Unix v6 and was
cosidered old then... Running on a PDP11/40 with 128K words (16-bit) of
magnetic core memory, a 3MB fixed disk and a removable 1.5MB drive.

And here we are, whinging about needing a 'PC' wih 4GB of RAM for daily
use...

Jumpers for goalposts...

My first exposure to UNIX was a couple of years later, in 1985.  The
first years at Warwick were let loose on (IIRC) an 11/750 running some
variant of BSD in rooms full of ADM3 terminals.
I feel a yorkshoor accent coming on...
Whats the modern equivalent of jumpers for goalposts - mobiles for joysticks? We had Decs version of Unix on a 11/780 in ~83 and it ran like a doc compared to VMS. I did use a pdp11/23 running rsx11 and programmed my first (and only) atom bomb simulation on it it fortran IV. I'd been programming on the university mainframe ICL1902(?) for 2 1/2 years prior. This was a single bit computer that turned a light on saying 'Hardware Fault' and was programmed with stacks of punch cards rearranged randomly by the operators.
Tom te tom te tom